We have gathered some crucial Information & FAQ about what it means to have indefinite leave to remain (ILR) in the UK, also known as a settlement visa
What is Indefinite Leave to Remain?
As the name suggests, ILR enables ex-pats/foreigners to achieve permanent residency and then British citizenship in the UK.
After living in the country for a specific time period, an individual can apply for ILR. Once they attain it, they can live as a legal citizen in the UK for as long as they want. They can work or study in the UK and travel within and outside the country without any legal complications.
How can I Qualify to apply for ILR / Settlement Visa in UK
There are various pathways/routes to qualify for apply for ILR / Settlement Visa in UK most popular being Stay on a legal visa in UK for 5 Years#1 (#1There are conditions attached to the stay)
Who can apply?
In order to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain status, you must meet the following criteria:
- You must continue living in the country
- You must have sufficient knowledge of the English language
- You must be familiar with life in the UK
- You must be of good character.
- You must meet application requirements
What is the application process?
Generally, the application requirements as well as processing time can vary, depending on your visa class.
What are the other requirements?
Your residence and income are the most important ILR requirements. Prior to applying for ILR status, you need to have at least five years’ experience of living in the UK. In addition to this, you must not have spent more than specific days outside the country during this time period.
Furthermore, there could be condition attached to your current visa category which you need to full-fill
How to apply for it?
If you meet all the criteria mentioned above, you are good to apply for ILR status. You can either take a DIY approach or consult a professional immigration expert.
Children born in the UK while you are settled
If you have a child in the UK while you are settled here they will normally be a British citizen automatically at birth
Becoming a British citizen
To apply for citizenship, you must usually have been living in the UK for at least 12 months after being granted indefinite leave. There are also other requirements
Some Interesting Facts & Figures
- Extension of temporary stay in the UK: Total 1,89,739 main applicants granted an extension to their stay in 2018
- Settlement There were 92,636 decisions on applications for settlement in the UK in the year ending March 2019, 21% more than in the previous year. Of these, 89,146 (96%) resulted in a grant.
- Out of 95,900 Registration certificates and residence cards issued 9511 ( Approx 10% ) were issued to Person of Indian Nationality a close to 30% jump from previous year
- Citizenship: There were 1,75,891 applications for British citizenship in the year to March 2019, 24% more than in the previous year.